12 Easy and Nutritious Breakfasts and Snack Recipes
Guest post by Davida from www.thehealthymaven.com
It’s no secret that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It’s our initial brain food that sets the tone for our activity throughout the day. Without it, it’s very difficult to function, let alone learn.
Yet so many children in Canada start their day without breakfast. In fact, 1 in 6 children are food insecure. Without nutritious food to start their day or keep them fuelled throughout it, it becomes increasingly difficult for children to learn and succeed in school.
We’re fortunate to live in a country, which can help ensure that no child goes hungry but it is not without your help. Several amazing programs including the Ontario Student Nutrition Program have stepped in to make certain that every kid starts their day with a healthy breakfast and ensures they are well-fed throughout the day.
However, these programs depend on your support. The Toonies for Tummies campaign launched by The Grocery Foundation of Canada along with the support of various food and beverage companies hopes to raise over $600,000 to allow these programs to continue to provide children across Canada with healthy and nutritious meals.
Every year in February select grocery stores in Ontario will ask you to consider donating a toonie to help support the Toonies for Tummies Campaign. 100% of funds raised were given directly to the programs that help keep various breakfast and snack programs in your region.
A toonie is nothing compared to most Canadian’s grocery bills, but if you’re worried you don’t have the funds to support these incredible programs, I have your solution.
So many of us depend on packaged snacks and breakfasts for our busy lives on the go. They’re convenient but they aren’t always the most health conscious or budget-friendly. What if I told you, you could cut-costs, eat healthy AND have money leftover to donate your toonie?
It’s pretty simple, start cooking up your breakfasts and snacks yourself! You can easily make big batches and freeze and package them so you can still eat them on the go. You might have to sacrifice a bit more time but what you save in money and the ability to help support children who don’t have access to nutritious food is worth it. With that, I’ve got 6 delicious breakfasts and 6 scrumptious snack recipes to help you get started with your kitchen adventures. All are guaranteed to be filling, easy to make and conducive to your busy lives.
6 breakfast recipes
1. Pumpkin Almond Butter Breakfast Cookies from The Healthy Maven
2. Pomegranate Oatmeal Snack Cups from Fit Foodie Finds
3. Greek Yogurt Blueberry Banana Bread from Nosh and Nourish
4. On the Go Baked Egg Nests from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
5. Homemade Pop Tars (whole wheat) from Food Faith Fitness
6. The Breakfast Smoothie from The Hummusapien
6 snack recipes
1. Brown Rice Krispie Treats from Eating Bird Food
2. Chili Spiced Sweet Potato Chips from The Housewife in Training Files
3. Healthy No-Bake Chocolate Chip Protein Granola Bars from The Healthy Maven
4. Pumpkin Gingerbread Muffins from The Lean Green Bean
5. Coconut Oil Honey and Sea Salt Popcorn from Almost Getting it Together
6. Hidden Veggie Two-Bite Brownies from The Healthy Maven
I hope you find a recipe or two in here that you love and can open your wallets to help support those children who may not have access to the same resources that you have.